The best part of traveling is experiencing a new culture! And yet sometimes we get embarrassed by mistaken words, different customs and etiquette gaffes. Despite their vast similarities, Britain and the United States have some startling differences. To avoid any confusion, stick to these tips and tricks:
The Little Things:
- Remember that they drive on a different side of the road! Make certain you look both ways
- Public transit is a pretty snazzy way of getting around. Forget the giant rats on the NYC subways! Even the Queen uses the Tube
- Brush up on your British slang - avoid any confusion!
- Lunch is usually a quick bite – don’t expect a sit-down lunch everyday!
- Don’t talk to strangers. Apparently this is a big no-no in London!
Save a little:
- Breakfast can be unnecessarily expensive. Take to the local Tesco and pick up cereal, milk, fruit and yogurt for less than you’d pay for a formal breakfast.
- Purchase a Historic Royal Palace membership - save money and enjoy the benefits!
- Pick up a quick sandwich or salad at Pret-A-Manger. The chain has hopped the pond to America and can be trusted for a quick, inexpensive, and healthy lunch break.
- Use the Tube when at all possible, and avoid costly cab fare.
- Instead of spending the day shopping, wander through the many gardens – tranquil, beautiful, and unAmerican
- Don’t get a latte, a mochaccino or a fancy drink. The British are known for their tea – it’s cheaper too!
- American citizens don’t need a Visa to travel to the UK, but you do need a passport. Make sure it is valid for at least six months after your return date
- Don’t play with fire – double, triple, and quadruple check what you can and cannot bring into the country. No one likes being questioned by customs!
- Be careful about what you purchase as a souvenir. Declaring items can get costly!
Latest posts by Christine (see all)
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge welcome President on Singapore State Visit - October 21, 2014
- The Tangle Teezer – Does she, or doesn’t she? - October 20, 2014
- Wardrobe Wednesday: RepliKates at ASOS - October 15, 2014