There are only 2 weeks left in 2016. Can you believe it? As we rush towards the new year – and the excitement that it brings – we thought we would take a few moments to look back at the year that was for the Duchess of Cambridge. 2016 was a highlight year for the Duchess! It marked the first overseas trip for both Prince George and Princess Charlotte, announced an engagement for Kate’s sister Pippa, saw William & Kate take a spectacularly gorgeous visit to India and Bhutan, showed us a sneak peek of inside Kensington Palace when the Obamas visited and we saw the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s work towards ending the stigma of mental illness take great strides.
Without further ado, here is the 2016 WWKD Kate Year in Review.
- The world watched as the first images were released of Prince George attending his first days of school in Norfolk. Kate took George to school and was widely applauded for yet another example of her trying to raise her kids with the greatest sense of normalcy possible.
- Australian magazine Women’s Day released candid photographs of Kate and George shopping together.
- Kate’s first official “event” of the year was a public outing to Church at Sandringham to commemorate the 100th anniversary of World War 1’s Galipoli campaign.
- It was a slow start to the month when it was revealed that William & Kate have very expensive dressing gowns in their closets. Cue no one being surprised.
- Kate’s athletic prowess is not just at rowing or field hockey. She is also good at tennis, as she demonstrated in Scotland.
- Kate acted as the editor for the Huffington Post, raising awareness for mental health with celebrities such as First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama.
- We discovered that Kate had shopped at Lululemon when she was captured on a shopping expedition in London, but have still not seen her wearing any…
- Commonwealth Day celebrations at Westminster Abbey had Kate, William and Harry teaming up to represent the future of the monarchy.
- A special visit by the Duchess to a charity shop in Norfolk revealed that Prince George likes Fireman Sam and Princess Charlotte likes Beatrix Potter.
- Kate was featured in a video for the Queen at 90, which also gifted us with screengrabs of a previously unphotographed Alexander McQueen dress and the Lover’s Knot tiara.
- A collaboration by Emma Bridgewater and the TUSK Trust was released, benefiting two charities Kate cares very deeply about.
- Kate did not attend St.Patrick’s Day celebrations, and there was much noise made about it.
- New family photos of the Cambridges, captured on a ski vacation, were released.
- 2016’s first Royal Tour! In preparation for the couple’s tour of India & Bhutan, William & Kate hosted an event at Kensington Palace for young people from the countries.
- The Royal Tour of India and Bhutan happened! A wonderful Tour full of awesome scenery and amazing photos – also undoubtedly memories which the Duke and Duchess will carry with them forever.
- WWKD launched our very first podcast!
- There were so many gorgeous outfits worn during the tour. We teamed up with Beulah to give away a scarf in the poppy pattern Kate wore.
- Perhaps the most stylish meeting of the decade for Prince George? George, Kate and William met President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama at Kensington Palace. The world swooned. We also caught glimpses of the inside of KP and shared how to decorate like a Duchess!
- Heads Together, the initiative related to Mental Health that William, Kate and Harry are passionate about, released their campaign video. Kate wore J.Crew, and it was sold out in minutes.
- It was announced that the Duchess of Cambridge would be the cover girl for British Vogue‘s 100th anniversary issue.
- Princess Charlotte turned one!
- Kate got back to regular engagements, and treated us all to three in one day, including a stop at a magical garden!
- The official launch of Heads Together happened in London and our favourite royal trio was there for the launch.
- As a patron of EACH, Kate penned a letter of support for Children’s Hospice Week.
- We saw Kate get back on the water for an event with the 1851 Trust.
- Prince George was captured by paparazzi getting to sit on a police motorcycle with Kate looking on. There was much debate about the photos.
- To kick off a month of celebration, there were a few days of frenzied activity with Sportsaid, Trooping of the Colour, Garter ceremony, Ascot and more!
- We saw a repeat of a perennial Kate favourite dress, the Jenny Packham sequin number, for a Taste of Norfolk Dinner.
- We shared one of our most popular posts of the year – why we still call the Duchess her maiden name of Kate Middleton.
- The 100th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme commemorations were held in France and the Royal Trio travelled to attend.
- Kate attended Wimbledon. We saw her attend to take in the women’s semi-final match and then return with William to take in the finals.
- A little Prince sighting – the Cambridge family (minus Princess Charlotte) attended the Royal Air Tattoo, where we saw George’s keen interest in planes take flight.
- Kate’s younger sister, Pippa, announced her engagement! A new “royal” wedding is in the planning stages.
- Prince George turned three!
- Another Royal Tour was announced, this time in September for a Royal Visit of Canada.
- A slow (royal holiday) month. We received details of the Cambridge visit to Canada.
- During a visit to Luton, we saw the return of the iconic LK Bennet Lasa Dress!
- The Royal Visit Canada! It was an exciting one as it marked the first trip abroad for the entire Cambridge family, with Charlotte and George making the trip.
- We saw William, Kate and Harry soar above London in the London Eye to raise awareness for mental health challenges.
- Kate undertook her first solo overseas responsibilities, visiting the Netherlands.
- There was a quick visit to Manchester before the Royal Family hosted Team GB at Buckingham Palace.
- A red carpet! Kate attended a premiere of a movie called “A Street Cat Named Bob” which covered topics of addiction and mental health.
- The Royal Family commemorated Remembrance Day with various ceremonies around London.
- Kate had 2 surprise engagements, including one to a women’s prison.
- Kate also attended the Place2Be Awards ceremony.
- Kate attended a meeting of the UK Scouting Association in Kings Lynn
- Kate will kick off the Royal Family’s Christmas celebrations on December 20th – we will see her arrive to the Queen’s Lunch at Buckingham Palace and then attend service at Sandringham on Christmas Day with the rest of the Royal Family.
Be sure to stay up to date on all of Kate’s coming events with the WWKD Calendar!
Latest posts by Amanda (see all)
- Kate Inspired Picks for National Consignment Day - October 2, 2017
- The Duchess, the HG and the Never Ending Mom Guilt - September 6, 2017
- What Will Kate Wear in Germany & Poland? - July 8, 2017