It’s something to receive a written note from anyone in this digital age, but can you imagine opening your mailbox one morning and discovering that you’ve received a note from the Duchess of Cambridge? We are so excited to share that this could very much happen to you, and today we’re going to take a look at one of the most popular questions we get asked on What Would Kate Do, “How do I write to the Duchess of Cambridge?”
There is no Twitter (aside from the official Kensington Royal account, as close as you can get), Facebook, or e-mail address for Catherine or William. The only way to contact them is through letters. This antiquated, snail mail protocol adds even more charm to the royals. When we send them personal letters, we get a personal response. An e-mail, tweet, or Like on Facebook could never provide the same thrill as when you receive the creamy white envelope with the red cyphen on the seal.
- Start the letter with “Your Royal Highness,” or “Dear Madam,” NOT “Dear Kate,”
- End the letter with “Yours Sincerely,” or “Most Sincerely,” (even if you want to sign off “Love,”!)
- Your letter should be personal, but not too personal. Remember, this is a member of the Royal Family – not your closest girl friend!
- You may not receive a personal response from Kate, but you are likely to receive a response from a press officer.
- Make sure your return address is crystal clear on the envelope
- Postage from the US or Canada to the United Kingdom requires a standard International stamp, available at the post office
So what should you write about? Anything, really! Remember to keep your letter appropriate and respectful. A good word of advice is if you wouldn’t say it in person, don’t add it to your letter.
Writing to Their Royal Highnesses on birthdays or holidays is a great opportunity to send a letter, but in case you just can’t wait that long, here are some ideas for you:
- Congratulate the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on a recent engagement or accomplishment
- Write to the Duchess of Cambridge about her inspirational work with children’s hospices
- Tell William to buy a new pair of trainers, and include fashionable suggestions (just kidding!)
- Share an anecdote about a time where the Duke or Duchess’ work has inspired you, such as your volunteering experiences, taking a history of art course, or joining a team sport.
Send your letter to the following address:
The Duchess of Cambridge
London W8 4PU
Make sure to share your responses, we would love to see them. Happy writing!
Latest posts by Christine (see all)
- The Duchess of Cambridge and the Countess of Wessex Host Commonwealth Fashion Exchange Reception - February 19, 2018
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attend the 2018 BAFTAs - February 18, 2018
- The Royal Tour of Sweden and Norway | Day 4: SKAM and Skiing - February 2, 2018