We finally learned a little bit more about Kate’s tour of Malta! The Duchess of Cambridge is due to undertake her first solo overseas tour – a high honor for royals – in Malta this September. The Duchess visited North America, Southeast Asia, and most recently Australia and New Zealand on royal tours with Prince William, but her engagements in Malta will be an opportunity for Kate to shine.
The Duchess of Cambridge will undertake 20 engagements over two days. Rather than fewer, longer engagements, the schedule allows for the Duchess of experience as much as she can in this short amount of time. The tour is schedule to celebrate Malta’s 50th year of independence – in 1964, Malta gained independence from Great Britain and became a member of the commonwealth.
To learn more about Kate’s schedule, read on:
Saturday 20 September
- Event 1: Call on the President of Malta – The Duchess of Cambridge will meet with President Marie Louise Coleiro Preca at San Anton Palace, where the Duchess will be staying.
- Event 2: Call on the Prime Minister of Malta – The Duchess will travel to Auberge de Castille, where she will visit with Prime Minister Joseph Muscat
- Event 3: In Guardia Pageant, Palace Square, Valletta – The Duchess will attend various military-inspired events, including a reenactment, military inspection, and military drills.
- Event 4: National Library, Valletta – The Duchess will tour the library and view a number of historical documents, including letters from kings Henry VIII and George II.
- Event 5: Independence Day Celebrations, Upper Barrakka Gardens – The Duchess will attend an evening gala, with the spectacular Grand Harbour serving as a backdrop to the event.
Sunday 21 September
- Event 6: Independence Day Service, St John’s Co-Cathedral – The Duchess of Cambridge will attend a traditional church service and view two Caravaggio portraits in the Cathedral Museum.
- Event 7: Access Centre in Vittoriosa – The Duchess will visit the Agency for Youth, a government agency which runs a number of initiatives for young people. She will meet with staff and youth who work with the agency.
- Event 8: Walkabout in Vittoriosa Square – The Duchess will go on a short walkabout to meet with locals and view the town. Later, she will view local Maltese art at the Church of St. Lawrence.
- Event 9: Boat Tour, Grand Harbour – The Duchess will enjoy a boat tour across Grand Harbor. She will take in the iconic views between Valletta and Vittoriosa.
- Event 10: The High Commissioner’s Garden Party, High Commissioner’s Residence – The Duchess will attend a garden party to celebrate Malta’s Independence Day celebrations, hosted by the British High Commissioner.