As we have discussed before on WWKD, we rarely see Kate with a cell phone. She does not walk down the street chatting into her iPhone or text while she shops. She focuses on the people she is with and the world around her, something we can all do a little more often. I am not suggesting to always have your phone away but here are some tips to be a bit more ladylike with your cell phone.
- Never, ever pull your phone out at the dinner table. Unless it is a dire emergency, focus your attention on the people you are eating with and your meal. No one likes to know you are texting someone else while you are sitting right across from them.
- If you need to take a call, make sure to go a far distance away from people. This way, you can talk privately and no one hears your conversation. Even if you are a far distance from people, if you are in a public place, be sure to keep your voice low so as to not disrupt anyone.
- A great rule of thumb about ladylike phone usage is to not use your phone if you are doing something else. Whether that is shopping, hanging out with friends, or walking down the street, put your phone away and focus on the task at hand and the people around you.
- Do not be that person in the movie theater who checks their phone obsessively. The light is noticeable in the dark, enclosed space and it can disrupt everyone else’s movie-going experience.
- Try to not use your phone while driving. Not only are you putting yourself and the drivers around you in danger, you are not as focused on the road and that can affect the way you drive. What I like to do is put my phone in the backseat of my car so I can’t see it light up or hear it and I won’t be tempted to answer a text or pick up a call.
- Whatever you do, think before you text. Think about who you are with, the situation you are in, and what you are doing. If you’re hanging out with your best friend watching movies in bed, it’s totally fine to use your cell phone. If you are having tea with the Queen, it is most definitely not okay. Use your common sense above all else and read the situation.