Seeing as The Heiress and I are similarly grumbly about Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d also share something happier today.
Inspired by the fact that Kate actually cooks (and I’ve been off work for 11 months and yet to really do any) I decided to recently plan a fancy, Julia Child inspired family dinner. I thought I would share with you my recipes and results.
I’m going to start with the end: dessert. Without further ado…
Most important thing you’ll need in this process is an Ice Cream maker. No matter what kind you choose, you can still use this great recipe.
The “Hot” Part:
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet
- Once the butter is melted and has just started bubbling, add the slivered almonds and the salt
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the almonds are golden brown
- Remove the almonds from heat and then drain the butter
- Put the almonds in the freezer while you move onto the “Cool” step
The “Cool” Step:
- Mix the milk, sugar and espresso powder in a bowl until it is all dissolved
- Stir in the heavy cream and the vanilla/almond extracts
- Throw in either Amaretto or Kahlua, if you’d like to your taste, I put in 2 tsp of Amaretto in mine
- Pop the whole mixture into your ice cream maker and churn it for 20-25 minutes
- Depending on your ice cream maker, you’ll have to eyeball the next part – when it’s just getting solid, throw in the almonds
- You can then let the ice cream freeze until such consistency as you’d like or;
- Put it in an airtight container in the freezer and save until needed