Well friends, it’s been a rough couple of days for me with my beloved Mac having been in the Apple shop for a few days. What’s a blogger to do without a computer? As I discovered, they apparently obsessively call Apple and try to type posts on their iPads; unfortunately for me both were done unsuccessfully. Because of the lack of computer, I couldn’t post updates on Kate’s Royal Engagements that happened earlier this week like I had planned to. Luckily there was some amazing coverage from other Kate sites and I’m sure you’re up to date on it all.
First up was a visit with William to London’s Middle Temple. She wore a pretty great deep burgundy colored Paule Ka suit that is thought she previously wore at a non-public pre-Christmas luncheon. The skirt was a little shorter than we had expected to see on the Duchess at an official event (check out this WKW picture showing the length), but by adding tights she definitely made it look appropriate. Duchess Kate Style blog does have a good point in that the shorter length does add a dash of youthfulness to the look which could otherwise look stodgy so maybe I’m just old fashioned. I thought it was cute that Prince William’s tie matched her outfit and thought that the coloring was very flattering on Kate as well as being on trend for Fall 2012.
Moving to a difficult venue to dress for (inside and outside- oh, the logistics!) at the football stadium event, Kate looked autumnal and appropriate in a Reiss coat from 2010 that had been worn at Christmas. I loved the color, the belt pairing and that she wore some comfortable but stylish boots to accompany the look as tiny pumps would have been too dainty. Side note: She reportedly bought this coat at the Reiss outlet!
Then as William attended the funeral of his former nanny, Kate kept up the engagement they had previously listed as joint in Newcastle/Stockton. She’s definitely figured out the whole royal appearances thing as she’s now rocking these things on her own. She wore another coat that she had previously worn on Christmas Day at Sandringham. What Kate Wore identified the dress and coat if you’d like more details.
Kate’s recent coat binge has definitely left me wondering if I should buy a new coat or just dust off the old ones from storage. I’m still debating. Here’s some tips on what we can learn from Kate from these events:
- Buy the best quality coat you can afford. With cooler temperatures, you can pop it over a dress and change it up as Kate does by adding personalized accessories such as hats or belts. Kate’s belts are often quite reasonably priced and they are often easy to find inexpensively through vintage shops- also guaranteeing you a unique look. A good coat kept in good shape will last through several seasons. As Kate demonstrated, it’s often the centre of the outfit this time of year- sometimes we don’t even take it off!
- If we’ve learned nothing from Kate, it’s to invest in several pairs of tights. It’s never appropriate for a lady to be flashing skin all over town and it’s an easy way to add some propriety to a look. We prefer to look at tights with higher denier in order to not be see-through. Although expensive, some of our favorite brands are Wacoal and Fogal.
- Dress season appropriate! Fall is not only my favorite time of year, but also known for deep colors and Kate looked great showcasing them. I particularly enjoyed how she wore the brighter colored red dress under the burgundy coat as playful way to add a dash of color. As the weather gets cooler and cooler, it wouldn’t be too difficult to change up the coat even more by pairing a brighter scarf with it.
As I tweeted yesterday, I love that Kate recycles her clothing. She’s making a statement that she’s thrifty, practical and being sympathetic to all the economic problems happening in the world- but I do love seeing new things to lust after, don’t you?
Latest posts by Amanda (see all)
- Kate Inspired Picks for National Consignment Day - October 2, 2017
- The Duchess, the HG and the Never Ending Mom Guilt - September 6, 2017
- What Will Kate Wear in Germany & Poland? - July 8, 2017